Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar of California, and Board of Legal Specialization

Both parents—regardless of whether they have custody—bear financial responsibility for their children. For non-custodial parents, this responsibility is typically met with monthly child support payments. Unfortunately, this might be easier said than done without the help of a seasoned child support attorney.

If the parent of your child is delinquent on their child support, you could have a number of options available to you. Call an Agoura Hills child support enforcement lawyer to help you ensure your child receives the support they need.

Child Support Enforcement Options

There are various methods to resolve a dispute over delinquent child support. While many parents focus on the possibility of legal action to force the delinquent parent to pay, sometimes the best option is to simply negotiate. One of the primary benefits of working with a child support enforcement attorney in Agoura Hills is that they could work to resolve a dispute without the need for litigation. Pursuing legal action can be costly and time-consuming. By reaching an agreement with the other parent that ensures they catch up on their missed payments, the interests of both parents and children might be served.

Unfortunately, not every dispute over child support is resolved amicably. Some parents simply refuse to comply with the court order, while others may not have the financial means to meet their obligations each month. In these cases, a motion for contempt can seek enforcement help from the courts.

It is important to avoid any delay in seeking relief for unpaid child support, as there is a time limit on filing a motion for contempt. The custodial parent must file their motion within three years of the missed payment. This deadline could leave a parent with unpaid obligations they were not expecting, so it is important to reach out to a qualified attorney as soon as possible.

Potential Consequences for Violating a Child Support Order

When the court grants a motion for contempt for nonpayment of child support, there are a number of potential options available for enforcement. As with any contempt finding, the judge has the power to fine or even jail a parent for nonpayment. However, these fines are rarely used as the money required to pay the fines could instead be used to satisfying delinquent child support obligations.

Further, a child support enforcement lawyer in Agoura Hills could press the court to pursue options that benefit the child. These options could include placing liens on the property of the delinquent payment or levying their wages. The court could also garnish a parent’s bank account in an effort to obtain funds to cover the lost child support.

For parents worried about the financial burden of pursuing a motion for contempt, the court has the power to ease these costs. For example, a judge might order a delinquent parent to pay for the attorney fees and other costs related to filing these motions.

Call an Agoura Hills Child Support Enforcement Attorney Right Away

Enforcement of a child support order may be frustrating to pursue alone. Many parents leave the divorce process hopeful for a fresh start, only to immediately realize the conflict with their former spouse is likely to continue.

Fortunately, an Agoura Hills child support enforcement lawyer could help ease the stress of a dispute and help enforce the terms of a child support order. Call right away to learn about your rights in these situations.

Send Us A Message

Hoffer Family Law Firm